On Tuesday, the LRR team had a delightful evening reading through Isaac Rathbone’s whimsical play Chub. It’s about how difficult it is to be a parent. It’s also about a secondhand puppet named Chub that (slight spoiler alert) is not actually named Chub.
Jennifer Conley Darling, the producing artistic director of the amazing terraNOVA Collective, was our guest star this week. See below how happy she was to spend an evening with us (or, at any rate, an evening with Chub).
We were very concerned about Chub’s puppet feelings and asked a lot of questions:
- Why does Chub smell?
- Does Chub know he smells?
- Can Chub feel pain?
- Does Chub know he’s going to die?
- How does Gary feel about his chub?
Etc. etc. (no, but for real, this was a good 45 minutes of our discussion…)
The play also included a character who goes only by the moniker BuffBillsFan12. We thought this was very telling, because it means there are also BuffBillsFan1-11. They, however, are not featured in this play, or any other play that we know of.
NEXT — Check out this picture of Jenn raising her left hand! She’s so riveting that Jeremy can’t help but stare.
Other things you should know:
1. $8 divided by 10 is NOT $1.25. If you think it is, you might be having money problems just like the people in Ike’s play.
2. Mila is, in her words, “not invested in hope.” (You probably already knew that.)
3. We decided on our theme for our evening of shorts this cycle (coming up in June)! We are SUPER excited about it, and we think it’s going to be the most cohesive and awesome evening Lather Rinse Repeat has put on yet! I’m not sure if I’m allowed to reveal anything yet, but suffice to say that when it is revealed, you will be approximately as excited as we are.
4. We took more pictures of ourselves. Hooray!