It’s Tuesday night, friends! So it must be Lather Rinse Repeat time. On Feb 25th, we heard Mariah MacCarthy’s new play Sweet Fantasy or the Insomnia Play (possible new title: “Safeword”). Lots to talk about in this one…sex and domination and trust and intimacy and the possibility of healing. The gang dug into the work with zeal, prompting lots of interesting discussions like:
1) What are the rules of “Strip Board Games” nights, and can you play “Strip Risk”
2) How you might have to register for a china set when you get married, whether you want it or not.
3) What are the challenges and advantages of a 45 min “real time” play.
4) Where would you write your safeword, and what could it be (Jen B writes hers on her palm)
5) Can a single mom be a sexual being, and how hard is that to accomplish
6) And the topic of all topics: Masturbation while female (yeah, it was a fun night)
In addition to these topics, we also learned of everyone’s favorite sandwich options, and who might be compatible “sandwich friends”. This was partly brought on by the food in the room, and yes at a LRR event, there was plenty of eating and drinking. Our guest star Denise Lum was in attendance from the Philly Fringe to witness all of this creative magic.
Mariah’s draft is already a tense, sexual, erotic play full of empathy and the need for more that the physical. It was often mentioned during feedback that the play is super compelling and intimate. Skin plays an interesting part in it, in terms of what is exposed and what is kept hidden from each other. And as usual for LRR, we had two terrific actors reading the play which elevated the material even further.
Til next time…